Unplanned School Closure
There may be occasions when school needs to be closed without advanced warning i.e. in the event of adverse weather, boiler breakdown or flooding.
- Winter/adverse weather
During adverse weather we will always try our best to keep school open, however our final decision will be taken based on weather conditions and whether it is considered to be safe for staff and pupils to travel considering where our school is situated on a hill. We need to ensure we have a good level of staffing to also open the school safely for pupils, this may mean that it may be necessary to open the school later than normal to allow staff and parents to travel safely or to partially open i.e. certain year groups only.
Please read the guidance below about how you can be prepared for all eventualities:
- Please ensure your child has warm, waterproof clothing, including sturdy shoes/Wellington boots, hat, scarf and gloves and a warm coat
- Please make some childcare arrangements so that if the school is unable to open or has to close early as a result of heavy snow, or needs to close during the day, you have plans in place
- Please ensure that you inform the school if someone different is to collect your child if the school closes early due to deteriorating weather conditions or other eventualities
If it snows, we will:
- inform you by 8am (see list of ways you will be informed in section below)
- let you know what time school will open (e.g. some staff have to travel quite a distance so it may be necessary to start school slightly later maybe 10am)
- allow children to wear non uniform so they keep warm and dry
- send a text if snow worsens in the day if we need to close school early to enable staff and children to travel home safely.
- shut off Glenfield Crescent entrance and children will only be able to enter school via Rossington Way.
Please check we are open. You can do this in the following ways:
- Check your mobile phone for a message from school (ensure contact details are up to date at all times)
- Check the Council’s website here
- Check our Facebook page (please note this is for information and we do not respond to comments made and ask that no comments are left)
EMERGENCY CLOSURE WHEN YOUR CHILD IS IN SCHOOL
In the event of an emergency closure during the school day we will send a message asking you to collect your child as soon as possible with details of where you need to collect from i.e. the hall or playground; this will come in all of the following ways
- Marvellous Me
- Announcement on the MCAS app
When you receive this message you DO NOT need to contact the office unless.....
- You need to tell us that someone different is collecting your child (and their name)
- You will be delayed because you need to leave work and commute to school with an estimate of the time you will get to school.
This contact must be made using our text service or email to keep our telephone lines free.
If your child has not been collected within 30 minutes, we will contact you by telephone to ensure that you have received the message.
To ensure that we are able to make contact with you, please ensure that your details are always kept up to date. You can check the information we hold for you in the MCAS app.